Jing'an Temple

One of the few times we've split up, Steve took the girls to Jing'an Temple, while I went the fabric market to have a few dresses made.  So, this will be a bit unconventional of a post - but the temple warrants exactly that:  unconventional.

If you are a long term reader of this blog, you are probably aware that we live on Nanjing Road.  Nanjing is one of the premier shopping avenues in the world.  Our girls think local stores are Prada, Burberry, Gucci, Hermes, etc.  In our building, they have access to Christian Louboutin, Ferragamo, Miuiu and Paul Shark.   So, not your typical street.

Down at one end is an extravagantly beautiful golden temple called Jing'an Temple.  As you get off the elevated highway, it is one of the first things that you see.  It is brilliantly lit at night and provides a sharp contrast to the modern buildings around it.  Naturally, we've walked by it repeatedly, but never went in.  So, Steve took the girls.

I had to look up the history of the building - because it is in remarkable condition.  I try hard not to post history lessons here, but this one deserves just a bit of context.

From Wikipedia:  The temple was first built in 247 AD in the Wu Kingdom during the Three Kingdoms period of ancient China. Originally located beside the Suzhou Creek, it was relocated to its current site in 1216 during the Song Dynasty. The current temple was rebuilt in the Qing Dynasty but, during the Cultural Revolution, the temple was converted into a plastic factory. In 1983, it was returned to its original purpose and renovated with the Jing'An Pagoda completed in 2010.

It is so "China."  Did you see that first year??  247 AD?  When you read it, you get the impression that the relocation was recent - and in China it is.  I mean, 1216 really wasn't that long ago, unless you come from a country with recorded history of only a few hundred years.  In our time here, we've been shocked by the number of ancient buildings that have been built and rebuilt.  It is not uncommon to be approaching a site, while reading or hearing how the building has burned down and been rebuilt 18 times.  To my American mindset, it feels like fraud.  But, then when buildings are thousands of years old, it makes more sense.  And, we have a new appreciation as to why there are so many concrete buildings around here.   Regardless, enough preaching...  The temple:  

Throne for picture taking.  I'm guessing that the lollipop was a bribe??  


Cultures collide?  I love that the temple is so close to an enormous Old Navy.  At night it is quite the contrast! 
Did I mention that I love roof tiles?  Steve seems to be getting into it as well!


Bell
As an aside, these photos were all taken with an iPhone 5S.  Not bad, huh??



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Pictures

Tokyo - better late than never!

OMG!!! TAYLOR SWIFT!!!!!!!!