Over the course of the last year, I've become increasingly concerned by the girls lack of knowledge about the US, and never ending interest and knowledge of other places. It is a good thing, but still... So, for spring break this year, we sought to remedy the situation by taking them to DC. Probably a little early in the grand scheme of their education, but since I'd lived there for three years, and it is an election year, it seemed like a good time.
All in all, it was a great trip. We all still travel together well and it turns out that having a common language with other tourists and operators helps a lot. We even settled into a rhythm at night that allowed us all to go to bed at the same time without too many compromises (thanks to the calming effect of HGTV and House Hunters, etc.)
There are a lot of photos here, but I promise, it is a fraction. I'm finding that these postings serve as a great journal for the girls as well, so no hurt feelings if you don't read the whole way through!
 |
| On the move. Did a week with three small rollaways and what was on our back. Phew! |
 |
| Thank heavens we also had Google Maps. With this one navigating to Colonial Williamsburg, who knows where we would have ended up. You can't tell, but it is snowing lightly behind her. |
 |
| How we like it - big empty parking lot at Colonial Williamsburg on our first full day on the east coast. |
 |
| Not off to a good start. Sadly, the Williamsburg experience has degraded since I was last there about 20 years ago. Starting with the fact that cars were allowed awfully far into the park. It detracts, right? |
 |
| We seriously considered leaving them here, but thought better of it. |
 |
| Another new item. I refrained. :-) |
 |
| Scenic view down one of the main streets. I believe this is Duke of Glocester Street. |
 |
| I believe that this is Basset Hall - the home that the Rockefellers lived in while they were developing the property. I recall it as a highlight of our last visit. Sadly, it was closed. |
 |
| The girls in a jail cell - realizing that the "stairs" are actually the loo. |
 |
| Thank heaven's we had the option to leave the jail! |
 |
| Isn't this an amazing garden? It inspired me to BRIEFLY consider gardening again. Such a brief thought. All gone now! |
 |
| Lunch in a "period" restaurant, that provided very modern choices for young diners. Phew! Was served in the wine cellar of a tavern. |
 |
| Part of our Ice Creams of the world tour. |
 |
| First stop was my absolute favorite museum in the US - the American History Museum. They have some really outstanding exhibits - permanent and rotating. It was not a letdown (although the Presidential China was not there.) Louise loved the gowns of the First Ladies. I spent quite a bit of time absorbed in a new exhibit called American Enterprise. I even bought the accompanying 250 page book and read it cover to cover. Very interesting and timely. Not very photographic for the blog though! |
 |
| When on the Mall, what do you do? Ride your sister. |
 |
| Getting energy out. |
 |
| They really don't love each other this much. Really. From time to time I have to ask them to stop hugging. But, at least they seem to have realized that mommy WILL get her photo and they better roll with it. Obviously, this is the Lincoln Memorial in the background. |
 |
| Closer up. Still loving each other. |
 |
| And, all the way. |
 |
| View from the back of the memorial - across the bridge to Arlington National Cemetery. |
 |
| Posing in front of the reflecting pool. |
So, that covers our first two days. Katherine (my sister) accuses me of forced marches on these sorts of trips. She may be right. Day 1 was Williamsburg. Day 2 was The American History Museum, walking the Mall, hitting: Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Korean Memorial, Vietnam Memorial. Wrapped up in Georgetown for dinner, swimsuit acquisition and visiting some concept stores that exist only in DC. Short day, right? :-)
So, day 3? Capitol Building.
 |
| We are continuing our tour of major buildings under repair. Apparently this is the first real repair of the Capital Dome tower. They are ahead of schedule (our government?) and are taking down the scaffolding. Sounds like it was in really rough shape and needed it badly. They need every thing done before the inauguration - which makes sense. |
 |
| Sadly, the work continued inside as well. This is the rotunda. My hope of a photo to use as a phone background is shot. But, we got to see some. And, I suppose that the work needed to be done. |
 |
| Panoramic shot from the interior. Sadly, this is the point that Vivian turned green, got dizzy and nearly passed out. She does this from time to time, so off we went. |
 |
| Best pic of girls in front of the Capitol. Out of order, but pretty, right? |
 |
| Next up - the Library of Congress. We got to get there through a tunnel. Love that. Tunnels are fun and mean one less security check. So, this photo was also after the fact. |
 |
| Loved this ceiling. May even make up for the disappointment of the rotunda. |
 |
| Like a moth to flame, Louise found the kids section (separate area) and settled in to read. It was a good break. |
 |
| Fountains outside the Library of Congress. I swear, we saw them in Rome as well, but could find no pics to corroborate this point. |
From there, we walked around the Mall a bit more, passing by the White House. Sadly, didn't manage to get tickets to tour it. Three months is NOT enough notice to write your senator this time of year. Oh well - girls seemed ok with it.
 |
| Lovely shot to the east of the White house. Not including pics of the Whitehouse with crowds. Y'all know what that looks like already! |
 |
| Views to Jefferson Memorial |
 |
| Best short of girls in front of White House. Rust on the barricade is a little alarming. |
 |
| Some of my favorite shots from Asia are street scenes. This had a similar feel. People living their lives amongst major sites. I love it. |
 |
| Ford Theater - where Lincoln was shot. We went back and saw it. It was pretty interesting, but by this point we were so steeped in Revolutionary War history, that diving deep into the Civil War was tough. Great new exhibits, however. I don't remember it being so good when I lived here. |
 |
| It is a full on rebuild with some original pieces representing. The girls were unimpressed. |
 |
| Digressing for just a minute. This is possibly the best margarita I've ever had. And Steve makes a MEAN margarita! We stumbled up on a restaurant called Oyamel Cocina Mexicana. Actually, I found it. I'm taking credit because I did. (Steve usually finds the good ones.) Regardless - this margarita was all top quality (tequila, etc.) But, the whipped part on top is the salt. It is whipped salt air. AND it does not evaporate with the drink. So, you get the benefit with each sip. Amazing. Rivals the Thai Zeed at Lost Heaven on the Bund (but that is pretty different since it is technically not a margarita and has chilis in it - but I digress). |
Next up. Mount Vernon. It was not originally a part of our plan. But, I LOVE Mount Vernon. I went over and over when I lived in the area and realized I could not pass it by. I'm so glad we didn't. Like so many things, it changed quite a bit in the last 20 years. I know, 20 years is a long time - but these places are hundreds of years old! How could they change?! Turns out that there is always more research and more donations and bigger better museums. Mount Vernon did that - while still maintaining so much of what I'd loved before. I also learned a lot about how it was saved. The Mount Vernon's Women's Association stepped in to raise funds and operate the site after the family could no longer take care of it and the US Government opted not to. Impressive group that still operates it.
 |
| The girls NOT hugging. Look how stiff Vivi is. She is clearly trying to abide by the letter of the request and not the spirit! |
 |
| One of the interesting changes. I'd recalled the house was white paneling. Turns out that the recently discovered that it was NOT! They've created brick like panels and painted it more of a sandy color. Interesting! |
 |
| A moment of connection in the midst of the crowds. Vivian resting on the gallery lookout. |
 |
| From the other side, after the throngs of kids have left. |
 |
| A favorite view. |
 |
| And, you wonder why the girls are always climbing on Steve? Because he lets them! Jeez! Along the Potomac. |
 |
| Slave cabin. A recent addition that had someone inside talking about it. We were there when no one else was, so I think that we got to give the girls a sense of it, but not as much as I'd hoped. Still, I like that it is there - along with a new slave memorial and much more conversation on George Washington's beliefs. |
 |
| Happy mom. |
 |
| I appreciate that someone offered to take our photo, but she was clearly out of her league with a DSLR. A grown woman - maybe 10 years older than me. Didn't know how to use a view finder and was confused by the button to take the photo. Would have loved to have more than half of Mount Vernon in the photo, but it is good anyway. I updated it to my profile pic on FB and it is the most "liked" photo I've ever posted with over 56 likes so far! :-) |
 |
| One of the additions was the rebuilding of the Grist Mill a couple of miles away from the main structure at Mount Vernon. I have lots of pics, but own't bore you. It is really interesting what a farmer and innovator George Washington was. Unfortunately, the relatives that followed didn't keep it up. |
 |
| Isn't this a great photo of them? Look how big they are getting? |
 |
| Me playing around with my phone and filters while waiting for the guide. I think that I should be posting to Instagram? Sadly, the plastic bag in the cloth bag detracts. |
 |
| More filters! This was part of distilling whiskey. |
 |
| Still the SAME day! On to Old Town Alexandria. I love the cobblestone streets. Sadly, little else there was noteworthy. It was kind of sad. |
Next day in our forced march... The International Spy Museum. Everyone raves about it. I did not enjoy it. The girls were mixed. It was confused - was it experiential? Teaching? Historic? And, you had to pay for it! And, there was a huge exhibit on Bond Films. Not my cup of tea. No pics. Followed by more walking.
 |
| Reinforcing the line between love and hate is very thin. Moments before they'd been pinching each other. |
 |
| View of White House, through the trees. |
 |
| Jefferson Memorial and the tidal basin. We did a paddle boat, which the girls generally enjoyed but was HARD work! |
 |
| Good times! |
 |
| Final exhausted day - the Air & Space Museum. Vivian piloting an Air Craft Carrier. |
 |
| Louise with Amelia Erhardt's plane. |
So, all in all, a good trip. There was more. Lots of time at the hotel pool. A great dinner at Legal Seafoods. More ice cream. All good.
I'm sure that it is somewhat lost on the girls, but I came away with a much greater appreciation of how our national history has affected our current culture, economy and society. When I first moved out there, I was shocked by how old everything was. For crying out loud - everything in the West is new! So, DC was unfathomable. Turns out that the last year has really reshaped my perspective - between Asia and Rome, my definition of OLD has changed. George Washington is practically contemporary!
Steve was trying to get the girls to reflect on how little really changed between some of the sites in China, Rome and even the US Revolution - and how much has changed since then. We had a healthy debate on perspective and context (I'm sure the girls missed most of it) - but it is remarkable. The decisions the Founding Father's made are still driving our government and lives in a radically different world. It will be interesting to see what the next election brings, as well as the decades that will follow.
When did you live in DC for three years? Doing what?
ReplyDelete