Thanksgiving - Ikea Style
As you can imagine, Thanksgiving is not a particularly big holiday over here - although I'm surprised how well known it is. We had a particularly odd experience of seeing Happy Thanksgiving signs up at a Tex-Mex restaurant, intermingled with Christmas decorations, but whatever...
Before I continue, some pictures:
So, Ikea was a dream come true. Labels in English. Familiar product. Confidence that the products are not toxic.
Then, to our friend's house for Thanksgiving. Excellent time with lots of fun. Love that we had Jack to drive us home - relieved some pressure. Took a few pics - yes. I'm that tired!
The girls had school off, but work was not closed. We align along the Chinese holidays. So, I worked on Thursday with the logic that it was not yet Thanksgiving in the US and took Friday off.
Our plan was to join a group of expats from the office at a co-workers house. 30 people, including 8 kids. They live in Pudong, or west of the river. We have a friend who calls it Pu-Jersey because it is newer and more suburban. People in Pudong are more likely to have actual houses (vs. our apartment.) We were super excited for a number of reasons:
- No need to buy and thaw a turkey. Or cook it.
- A good chance to get to know people better.
- And, a trip to IKEA!!!
Shanghai's largest Ikea is in Pudong and because Thanksgiving is not really recognized as a holiday, it was open!! I've had a list of things that we've looked for, but failed to find and I knew Ikea was just the place. Sadly, Steve did not share my excitement. Jack, or driver, sided with Steve. Regardless, it was a great time!!!
First, the place is HUGE. Something like six stories, although we really only saw 1 or 2. they seem to keep the garage and warehouse on the lower levels. They also didn't force everyone through all the furniture. We did the whole maze as the marketplace - kitchen stuff. They had everything I was still looking for: a mirror with a light and magnification for the bathroom, plastic cups, bowls and plates for the girls, water glasses that could hold more than a teaspoon of water, a coffee cup (our sea shipment has been delayed), misc. kitchen stuff and so on and so forth. And, they had food! While chomping on meatballs, Louise announced that Ikea was a perfect place for Thanksgiving (?!)
Before I continue, some pictures:
Do you get a sense of the scale? This is the entrance - followed by a HUGE escalator... That is Viv with the yellow bag.
Whaah??? Is the aisle or the bin first? What does it all mean? How do I find it?!
Coolest cart EVER! This is to hold multiple trays of food!
Most of the menu was typical Ikea: Swedish meatballs, salmon, fruit and ???
Loaded trays. Cool - right?! Notice, girls no longer pushing.
How many times has Steve been bonked in the head?
Do you see this? A handy rack right under the table to hold the trays while you eat. Ingenious!
On the journey back down - trying to sell us MORE junk!
So, Ikea was a dream come true. Labels in English. Familiar product. Confidence that the products are not toxic.
Then, to our friend's house for Thanksgiving. Excellent time with lots of fun. Love that we had Jack to drive us home - relieved some pressure. Took a few pics - yes. I'm that tired!
Notice that we block the tree - we are getting used to it. And, that is a Chinese flag on the top.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!










Comments
Post a Comment