We live in a "compound" called Shanghai Center. I quote compound, because it is not a compound in the sense that most residences are walled compounds. Ours is far more open and very accessible to those from the outside. I know, I know, you all want pictures. I'll get them. I promise, but this is not going to be the posting that includes them. This is going to be more about the location.
So, Shanghai Center... I've heard it referred to as ground-zero for western living. There literally seems to be EVERYTHING here. There is a western market, a Starbucks, Element Fresh (restaurant that fashions itself after a typical western or American restaurant.) We have a burger place, pizza, Chinese, Lululemon, a bookstore, a health food kiosk, passport photos. You name it. Did I mention it has a hotel? When people get confused because we've told them that we live at Shanghai Center, we clarify that we live in the complex with the Ritz Carlton hotel. Oh, and the Mui Mui, Bruno Cucinelli, Christian Louboutin, Ferragamo, and other places we don't go to. To further illustrate that they have everything, Steve was wandering in the office portion and stumbled on an alumni office for his business school program. Huh? What are the odds?
As residents, we get access to discounts at most places, but we rarely use them (although, they are offering happy hour prices all night in the bar at the Ritz through March... Must use that one...) We also get to use the hotel gym at the Ritz, including the pool. Nice perk!
Management also puts on events. Anything to keep us all happy, I guess. From what I understand from folks living in other places, it is pretty normal. The first of our events was the Shanghai Center holiday party. Full buffet dinner, open bar and entertainment. And, with almost every event in Shanghai, a lucky draw. Good times!!! I'm told that they happen roughly quarterly and the one in mid June is not to be missed. It is an American style bbq and almost everyone wins the lucky draw.
See our pics below and stay tuned for more in June!!
 |
| We were lucky enough to win a lucky draw and a set of Twining's tea. |
 |
| Photo booth!!! |
 |
| Louise dressed and ready to rage |
 |
| Vivi opted for a festive touch - bargained for at the wholesale market |
 |
| Who wears the hat better? |
 |
| Louise's gift from Santa |
 |
| And Vivi's |
Is Louise still wearing that same dress? How is that possible? It must be super-short. And why do they even make teapots that are the size of one cup of tea? I mean, really, just use the cup if you want that little tea. I don't get it. But I can't wait to hear about June's party.
ReplyDeleteNew dress. Acquired for Thanksgiving. Black/blue sequins. I was told that it was appropriate to dress for Thanksgiving and she was disappointed that here elbow length gloves were still on the sea shipment.
ReplyDeleteTea pot holds several cups worth. I think it is likely that American's make and drink too much at a time. Based on how we've adjusted our habits, I suspect it applies to most things Americans to! :-)