The Puyallup Fair

I'm out of sequence again, but had this at the ready, so posting it now.  One of the fabulous things about being back in the US is that we have access to Google - which means the Google Blogging app without having to be on a VPN.  So, I tried writing this post just after the event, but then couldn't get it posted.  Jeez...

As we moved back to Seattle, I had a list of things I really wanted the girls to experience.  Things that I believe are essential to being a Seattlite and cannot be experienced in the Bay Area (or China...). The school strike in September really allowed us to get through the list fast!  We did a Husky game (49 point blow out) and a REAL fair topped the list.

Let's talk about the fair.  We've taken the girls to the Marin County fair a couple of times.  It is very sweet.  It is July 4th weekend and usually blisteringly hot.  The rides are free and the Beijing Acrobats are a big draw (possibly because they are in an air conditioned venue, but more likely because they are really cool.). Regardless, I've always been alarmed by the quantity of livestock.  5 cows, a handful (clutch??) of exotic chickens and a few horses.  Is that a fair?!?  Gotta show the girls the real thing.  So, Puyallup it is!

Ordinarily I would not find this blog worthy.  It was a fair.  There were two barns filled with cows.  Lots of horses, and a barn that held poultry and pigeons.    We missed the cats - they were done the day before and the dogs didn't come for another day.  But, having spent so much time in China and experiencing new things, I couldn't help be see the fair through new eyes.  I imagined what I would think if I were a foreigner or if I found these things overseas.  It was eye opening!!  Suddenly, the U.S. seems more interesting and China seems less odd.

With that in mind...


Sign at entrance to take and post a selfie.  Proof we were there.

A zonkey - part zebra and part donkey.  I have a friend that is obsessed.  Oddly, many of the animals seems to speak.  There were lots of handwritten signs saying things like "I am more like my mother the zebra and I don't like many people, likely including you!"  Strange talking animals!

Sadly - no cats, but we were able to see the robotics. Steve mused, "how old were the robotics when they are adopted by their 4H members?"  For those of you who don't know, my sister and I showed cats in 4-H growing up.

The girls in front of a fish that evokes memories of Japan, not Puyallup.

In front of the largest pumpkin the fair has ever seen!  Over 1600lbs.  It grew 38 lbs a day.  It's care taker says you can actually hear it growing.  Imagine finding this in China.  We'd think it was over the top!

At the history of sweet treats exhibit.

This is a piece of art made entirely of Jelly Belly's.  Not only that, but this piece is part of the exotic animals collection.  I was agog. Then I went around the corner and found a sign that Shanghai China had set a world record in 2010 for the largest piece of Jelly Belly art at the Shanghai Expo.  No wonder I felt at home!  Of course they did this!!!

Then there was this.  It was one of several beautiful displays of stunning fruit, vegetables, preserves, flowers and other items.  But in pretty sure I've seen photos of similar displays in China.  You could see Chairman Mao instead of George Washington, right?

Then of course, there is this:

Elephant ear!!

And this!
Funnel cake.  We said no to the deep fried butter.

The girls went on rides.  We ate WAY too much greasy food and even won posters by throwing darts at a wall.  Vivi got Russel Wilson (for those of you not on the know, he is the Seahawk's QB.). Louise got Taylor Swift.  Steve got super heroes.  I got a cat with the writing "dance like no one is watching."  I've always wanted one!

In all seriousness, it was a great day.  We accomplished an important to-do item, but also got to see things here in the U.S. differently than we have in a long time.  The girls loved being able to read all the signs and ask questions and see new things.  So all good!  That said, the fair has not changed much since I participated in the 80's, so it may be another 20 years before I go back!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Pictures

Tokyo - better late than never!

OMG!!! TAYLOR SWIFT!!!!!!!!